View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 03:54 PM
skypilot35
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: It's hot out here.

The fact of the matter is the only person who can decide on whether the move is a good one is YOU. I am a recently retired Marine, 41 years old, and I started flying at a VERY low paying regional this year. In fact it is the lowest paying regional in the country, Great Lakes Airlines. I had 850 hours and GLA was the only airline that would touch me. The commute to work is horrible, the hours are long and exhausting, the overnights are short, and I get treated like a dog. I LOVE it. The pilot group is outstanding! The aircraft (B1900D), while ugly as hell and antiquated, is a blast to fly and the view is tremendous. This is a lifelong dream for me and am having a blast.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say you have a passion for flying. If that is the case, then you should pursue it. But, pursue it with your eyes open. Remember that the ATP rule goes into effect August of this year. What that means to you is that you will need 1500 hours before any regional will look at you. How will you build that time? CFI'ing is a great way and probably the most realistic, but it will not happen over night. Rickair7777 made a great suggestion and that was do it on the side while keeping your current job. It may take a little longer, but at least you will not be dependent upon the whims of your students.

Good luck to you. I understand your trepidation, but if you do decide to go after it, you will have a blast.

I see you said you went to SDSU. Are you still in San Diego? If so, there are a ton of flying clubs and there are several that are reputable. I spent 3 years flight instructing here and l still live in the area. I have a couple of buddies who are active CFIs and could recommend some if you would like.