View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 03:04 PM
ryane946
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left

Originally Posted by AAflyer View Post
The big thing AMR wants to do is skip the current generation jet. the B737NG, and A320 series by all means are old technology. The new plastic 737 and 787 are future. Watch for us to do something to stop gap for the next few years and then leap into the next generation.
I agree. This is something I have been following closely (the replacement for the 737 and A320).
These are the best selling commercial aircraft in history. The 737 line (best selling aircraft eveer) has sold over 6,000 aircraft representing 1/4 of the WORLD's commercial aviation fleet. The A320 has sold around 4,000 aircraft, and these numbers continue to grow.

The next generation 737/A320 will not only cover the 737 classic size airplane, but will need to fill the gap left by the 757 (or A321, 737-900) and the gap on the lower end of the market (EMB-190, CRJ-1000, A318, 737-500). This next generation aircraft will likely be the best selling aircraft in history. So this aircraft will be a key focus for Boeing and Airbus.

A couple of things to point out. One, it would be beneficial for Boeing to let the 787 fly for a couple years before beginning large scale research/development of their 737 replacement. There is no doubt that this new aircraft will be made of composites. It probably will incorporate many of the other advances used on the 787. Boeing would be wise to see what/if any bugs the new 787 has, and fix them in their 737 replacement.
Two, it would not be wise for either Boeing or Airbus to design their replacement model without a new generation engine. With fuel burn being an airlines primary cost, a small change in engine efficiency can do much more than massive changes in aerodynamics. There is only so much that can be improved on the aerodynamic side, but there is a lot that can be improved on the engine side. Geared engines perhaps?? This engine technology is 5-10 years down the line. I think that is when you can see this replacement jet.

If you want to see some cool speculation from a recent Boeing conference, check out:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...oncepts05.html

I think American is right to try and skip the current generation of 737/A320 as a massive replacement for the MD-80. Probably the best for American is to take their orders for the 737-800 that have been delayed and replace the oldest MD-80's in the fleet. I think it would be best for American to hold onto their massive fleet of MD-80's (the newest ones) for the next 6-8 years, and be the launch customer of the new generation 737/A320.