View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 AM
LowSlowT2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

After posting, I went to look up the older prosecutions and the specific circumstances. I found this PDF:

http://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/dot/fil...ony_july17.pdf

After reading through this, it appears they had the two or three gross offenders in 2002 and then went and did a localized 'study' in Northern California to 'see if there was a problem'. They then use the results of the additional 48 prosecutions to justify access to all the various databases. We know they gained access to the VA records in 2011. And they added a question to the medical form a few years back. They also admit they used receipt of disability to cross reference the databases.

So what's next? My interpretation between the lines is they're going to do more. They admit they just went after those they could clearly get on criminal charges of falsification. I think this is perception management and manipulation. The goal is 'safety', of course, and I don't doubt that intent, but we know what the road to h3ll is paved with, right? I'm legitimately concerned about the potential for increased bureaucratic creep and making it more challenging for those who do have a disability rating on record.

Please do not confuse any of my concern about not trying to get a VA disability rating with purposefully hiding a condition that legitimately affects one's ability to safely pilot an aircraft. I do not condone such behavior. Just as you shouldn't try to claim something you're not entitled to, so too should you not try to hide something that may otherwise be considered for further evaluation.