View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 PM
ImEbee
Portuguese Troubleshooter

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Burrito Bomber

Originally Posted by RI830 View Post
IMHO.......
Just like capitalism.....let the system work and things tend to take care of themselves. If a company is bad...no one will work for them and they will be forced to go under or changed. A company who pays fairly and treats employees fairly will do well and succeed.
Just my $.02

Flame away!
Said nobody at CitationAir, Net Jets, Flight Options or Avantair. It's easy to look at it in an overly simplified manner but as companies grow or run into difficulties, how they treat their employees change. I am certain you also understand that outside of a very few exceptions it is not in the best interest of a pilot to jump ship as soon as things become difficult. Are you telling me that if EAS started making wholesale changes to your work rules and pay you wouldn't consider organizing? What if you had invested 5-10 years there?

A perfect example right now is Avantair. I would say a vast majority of the pilots there would like to remain non union. However, in light of recent events and actions by the company they have decided that they need to put in place protections to the job they love and have dedicated years to. Please don't suggest that those pilots simply leave the company. In most cases that incurs a significant paycut and QOL sacrifices.

The very existence of unions gives incentive to a company to operate in a manner that the employees do not feel the need to organize. The minute they begin to take that for granted or impinge on that good will they give the employees incentive to organize. Does XO Jet and TMC need to organize? I suppose only if the pilots feel the need but to insinuate, as DWS1 does, that organization is needed to raise the bar so to speak is also overly simplistic.