View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 PM
redbaronahp
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: B787 Captain
Default Did I make the right move?

I'd like opinions from fellow aviators on my career thus far. Years back I flew my ass off in Florida as a flight instructor then did the same while hauling bank checks in light twins around the Southeast. I was a check airman and an assistant chief pilot for a 135 freight company before I started flying the ATR for a 121 cargo company. From then on I have only averaged around 350 hours a year for the past 5 years. I had a great quality of life and decent pay allowing me the opportunity to find happiness in my personal life. However, I'm once again looking for career progression. I am currently flying for a charter airline as an FO on the 737 operating around the world. I am still only averaging 350 hours a year. At the end of 2007 I had 2700 hours and now only have roughly 4500 hours total, +1000 PIC turboprop, 737 type with experience flying the -800 across the pond. I feel like the international ETOPS and LRN experience should be gold, but how do you all think I will compare to my friends who are now Captains flying regional jets and have 9,000 hours? I love what I do and where I fly, but I'd like to fly for a major airline some day and am wondering if my good QOL with low yearly hours is holding me back. I'm also wondering if I'd now have better opportunities had I gone to a regional passenger airline years ago like my friends from flight school. Any thoughts?