Prime Minister/Moderator
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
  • Position
    Engines Turn Or People Swim
Quote: I'd like opinions from fellow aviators on my career thus far. Years back I flew my ass off in Florida as a flight instructor then did the same while hauling bank checks in light twins around the Southeast. I was a check airman and an assistant chief pilot for a 135 freight company before I started flying the ATR for a 121 cargo company. From then on I have only averaged around 350 hours a year for the past 5 years. I had a great quality of life and decent pay allowing me the opportunity to find happiness in my personal life. However, I'm once again looking for career progression. I am currently flying for a charter airline as an FO on the 737 operating around the world. I am still only averaging 350 hours a year. At the end of 2007 I had 2700 hours and now only have roughly 4500 hours total, +1000 PIC turboprop, 737 type with experience flying the -800 across the pond. I feel like the international ETOPS and LRN experience should be gold, but how do you all think I will compare to my friends who are now Captains flying regional jets and have 9,000 hours? I love what I do and where I fly, but I'd like to fly for a major airline some day and am wondering if my good QOL with low yearly hours is holding me back. I'm also wondering if I'd now have better opportunities had I gone to a regional passenger airline years ago like my friends from flight school. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you're in a good place, you have it all except military time.

Majors tend to prefer people with more recent TPIC, as opposed to the guy with 9,000 hours in the left seat of an RJ...they're afraid he will have trouble in training, and then online will have trouble transitioning back to FO mindset.

Your -800 and international time should trump RJ CA time.

Did you get your TPIC in the ATR? If so congrats on surviving.