redbaronahp
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Aug 2009
  • Position
    B787 Captain
Thanks
Quote: Sounds like you're in a good place, you have it all except military time.

Majors tend to prefer people with more recent TPIC, as opposed to the guy with 9,000 hours in the left seat of an RJ...they're afraid he will have trouble in training, and then online will have trouble transitioning back to FO mindset.

Your -800 and international time should trump RJ CA time.

Did you get your TPIC in the ATR? If so congrats on surviving.
No, I don't have military experience. The closest I came was flight instructing for the Patrick AFB aero club before it was shut down.

Yes, I logged all of my turbine PIC in the ATR. I flew as Captain for 3.5 years on a cargo ATR and enjoyed flying both the 42 and 72. It is a slow turboprop and generally stuck flying down low in the weather. I flew the plane many times in icing conditions and as long as we exercised good judgement while paying close attention to the weather conditions and following SOP's the plane flew nicely.

I shouldn't complain with my career progression. I am only 31 and flying right seat in a 737-800. I expect that in 5 years I will upgrade if I stay. The pay scale here is pretty low which is my biggest complaint but I enjoy the job and the quality of life it provides. My other big complaint is no travel benefits for my wife or family as the company is a charter airline.

Thanks for the advise. I'll apply at the majors after I get a bit more jet experience and if they call great, if not, then I can be happy here. I've already flown to 10 countries in my first 6 months flying the line.