Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

I agree in general. There are two different issue which got muddled together in the past...

1) Americans didn't want to see their daughters coming home in body bags. This is what the original combat exclusion was based on...keeping women from exposure to the worst (but not necessary all) enemy action. Most folks are over this now, and recently the DoD has certainly exposed troops of any gender in all manner of support roles to risk of insurgent action.

2) Physical performance. Other than physical strength and stamina, there's no reason that women can't do the vast majority of military jobs.

The submarine exclusion was based on privacy issues.

Artillery fell under the combat exclusion, but they are no different than convoy drivers...if they're engaging the enemy with small arms, things are not going according to plan.

Where I have serious reservations about is front-line infantry and special forces...they go out and intentionally engage the enemy, often overcoming physical distances and obstacles to get there on foot, all while carry 60-80 pounds of gear and weapons. The typical woman is going to slow that operation down, even very athletic women. There are plenty of women with speed and stamina, but when you have to carry the weight at the same time...women just don't hold up as well.

All that said I'm even OK with allowing the few women who could do it, but I'm very concerned Washington will start re-defining the current standards we have now to meet "quotas". Not enough female infantry? Lower the pull-up requirements...maybe our soldiers don't really need to climb walls with packs...we can just call in a helo to lift them over

And that's just the infantry, once you get into special forces, all those issues are amplified.

Like I said, I'm all for it as long as there's no affirmative action on performance standards for those branches that rely on strength and stamina for their primary role.

Keep in mind that regular military forces currently have different performance standards for men and women on physical fitness tests. Can we now eliminate that double standard? Remember, outstanding performance on those tests improves promotion opportunity for lower rank members...