View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 AM
LowSlowT2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Default Bank Angle Limits for 121

In a hypothetical discussion with asst chief pilot about certain maneuvers in the plane. One of the responses I got was along the lines of - we could never do that anyway as we're limited to 30* of bank as a transport category aircraft.

Being a newly transitioned ex-military guy, I'm not as fluent with the various FARs and stuff yet as I'd like to be (although I'm studying and trying). So, I went and searched all our manuals (AOM, GOM, Ops Specs, AFM, & SOP) and couldn't find the 30* limit anywhere other than our SOP. So I searched the FARs and could only find mention of bank angle in standards for performance after takeoff and some references in the AIM for holding procedures. Steep turns were mentioned (to 45*) for initial/recurrent training. Otherwise, very little reference.

When queried about it, he said our plane being older, was certified to CAR 4B and I did find reference to that in our AFM (also 9A). When googling that, I kept getting pointed to Part 25 for aircraft certification - which seems to discuss loading and performance capability primarily, and not operations. He implied the restriction was imposed by the FARs and our SOP was merely echoing that.

So, now that I've bored you with my google-fu (or lack thereof), my question is - Is there an FAA bank angle limit for 121 operators using transport category aircraft? If it matters, we are a supplemental 121 outfit. If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

TIA

Last edited by LowSlowT2; 01-31-2013 at 08:26 AM.