View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 AM
LowSlowT2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
There may be design requirements (vice limitations) in part 25 which specify that a transport aircraft must be able to bank to so many degrees bit I don't think there's any operational limits.
I think the only design limits (I could find) were interpetive of the g-limit you mention below. 2.5G is about 67* or so. My AFM mentions 60* somewhere - I forget the context. So, I believe, that is limiting for our aircraft.

Applicable company limits would be found in the SOP, and might be type-specific, although 30* sounds typical. Anything more than that would bother the pax.
Generally, we do not carry pax. However, this hypothetical discussion wound around the idea we couldn't do something because it was limited externally to our SOP and our SOP was merely restating it...

There's nothing inherently bad or limiting about bank angle...it's all about the resultant G-forces so the airframe limitations are the load factors. How far can you bank in a coordinated turn without exceeding load factor limitations? 60* bank is easily within the the 2.5 LF limit which is the minimum for part 25.
Agreed....and was the thrust of my side of the discussion.

Of note, my 'debate adversary' does not have a military background, so all of his 'transport category' experience has been in 135 or 121, I believe. As the entirety of his experience, I am beginning to believe it is the cornerstone of his defense (ie - he's never been anywhere where >30* was permitted and assumed it was a 'universal' restriction, so must be in the FARs). As he's the asst chief pilot (and soon to be CP), I'm not quite in a position to tell him to prove it to me as I would with a peer. And, in all honesty, I'm quite happy to do the sleuthing as I learn more about the FARs by wading through them...even if it's painful.

Any ideas where I could continue my search?