View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Rotor2prop
ALL Days Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010

Originally Posted by Nate Graf View Post
Hi,

The past couple years I have been looking at flight schools and the Air National Guard. After visiting my local ANG unit in Burlington, Vermont I became aware of a new path into aviation, contract training. I am not sure if I am coining the term correctly but from what I understand some companies, such as Cathay Pacific, will train and hire people that meet the necessary requirements.

I was wondering if anyone had some insight into this type of route? Do you receive a good education and what companies offer said cadet program? I have always wanted to be a pilot as my father and grandfather and now having graduated college I am looking to make my first step into the industry. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Nate

Nate,

I do not think there are any US companies that offer cadet program. That's more of a European/Middle East business practice. Now if a true pilot shortage ever hit the US you would see it start here.

I would assume that the reason you ask about this is because how much it costs for flight training. If thats the case I'll give you some advice that others here will echo. DO NOT take out a huge loan to pay for flight training!! I know its tempting but just do not do it. Yes, you may have to borrow a little bit after you get into your training but pay out of pocket for your Private and Instrument Rating. Find a small mom and pop type school to do your training. Do not pay a large sum up front!! Put $1000 down and pay as you go. Good luck!!