View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Lobaeux View Post
I hope it counts since I received my IFR check and just gave an IFR checkride in the sim. I didn't add sim time in my total, even though the AF counts it.
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
I believe you can. Wasn't Mesa giving people their Multi this way back in the day of their Mesa Pilot Training Program?
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I don't think sim time counts as anything other than sim time and you can, I believe, log approaches.

AFAIK, it is not logable as flight time, nor should it be.
Originally Posted by Blackwing View Post
Are people logging Level C/D sim time as multiengine time??? Is that legit?
Sim time should be logged as sim time only, not total flight time. Per the FAA it is not "flight time", which must occur in a real airplane.

In the cases where sim time can counted towards ratings, that just mean the sim counts (put it on the 8710), it does not mean you get to log sim time as real flight time.

Don't log it as dual-received, sim-time by definition is "dual" so adding it to your dual column might just create math confusion later on.

You can log sim time as IMC, ME, night, complex, etc but I would recommend not mixing those times up with your flight time since they do not apply towards aeronautical experience in all cases, and most employers want to see sim time separate from flight time. Employers don't usually care if sim time was ME, etc. IMC sim time can be useful for meeting entry-level hiring mins.

If you need to know how much ME sim time you have, you can go add it up later, or if you really want to you can make separate columns.

Bottom line, with a few exceptions you can log it any way you want but if you mix things up it will make your life harder down the road, and may create confusion when an employer is reviewing your logbook. Worst case, you could get kicked out of an interview if they think you're trying to fudge to meet hiring mins (especially turbine time).