View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Squawk87
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: PA34-200
Default Logging XC according to Orlando FSDO

How do you guys log cross-country time? Let’s assume that the total hobbs time is 3.0 and you made 2 full stop landings during your XC. Orlando FSDO make us deduct 0.2 from the XC time for each landing for what they call "Airport operation" which involves taxi, run-up, etc. So the "correct" way according to the FSDO to log this flight is 3.0 total time and only 2.6 XC time.
I tried to research this issue and couldn't find anything specific. Part 1.1 defines flight time as : "(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing".
While part 61.1 defines XC time as...
(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(4)(ii) through (b)(4)(vi) of this section, time acquired during flight"
The FSDO interprets the time acquired during flight as the time that is acquired from takeoff to landing. My personal opinion is that the FSDO got it wrong as time acquired during flight is flight time... But I might be wrong. What are your thoughts? How do you log cross-country time? Do you consider time acquired during flight the same thing as flight time?