View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I love it. Ask for advice, then everyone gives you the advice of ,"Do not become a professional pilot," and you don't listen.

Since you have also repeatedly read over and over again what a waste of money the big name, big money aviation schools are, just go. You seem dead set on finding someone to tell you they are worth it.....
Over and over? Five posts in the thread at that point, and this is what you have to say?

If someone wants to get into flying, have a ball. No reason not to. A masters degree is nothing special; it's not overqualification for a flying job. It's simply paperwork saying one has spent a little extra time in academia. It's no barrier to a flying career, and embarking on a flying career is NOT a waste of a perfectly good masters degree.

Lots of pilots out there with masters degrees.

One must be aware that flying for a career is a long slow process, and a great deal more time is spent at the entry level rungs, as a rule, than some other industries. However, if one wishes to fly for a living but gives it up to go do another job that one hates simply because one has a degree...what's the point.

A wise man once said that you should do something you love for a vocation, and if so doing, will never work another day in your life. Consider that carefully.

There is no good reason why someone who wants to undertake flying for a living shouldn't do so.

As for going to a flying university, absolutely not...no reason to do it, and it won't promote your career at all...particularly for someone who already holds a masters degree. All it will do is make the flying more expensive. Nobody cares that you went to Purdue or ERAU to learn to fly. Where you got your primary flight training, for the most part, is irrelevant. It's rare anyone has asked me where I learned to fly, and I can't imagine too many people who would care. Am I properly certificated and can I pass an interview and a checkride? It's enough.

Save your money for flying, rather than paying for a brand name that means nothing but to those who patronized the brand. You'll get more training done for less, in shorter time, and will come out ahead.