View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 AM
rvrabel2002
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: on the beach

Holding both a pilot certificate and an A&P is beneficial in some areas of the industry, but it's not a guaranteed leg up for every pilot position. Most FBOs and charter ops will probably love having someone with both skills, but it won't do much for you in the Part 121 world. In fact, it can actually be a slight hindrance.

When I was hired by my first regional, one of my class members had earned his A&P as a way to get a leg up. When he mentioned he had his A&P, two of the company's trainers gave him a puzzled look and asked "Why?". Also, in my job research I've heard airline recruiters state that an A&P really doesn't do you any favors if your goal is to be a Part 121 pilot. One hiring director went so far as to state "Such applicants confuse me. Do they want to be a pilot or a mechanic?"

Having both credentials is perfectly fine, but just be careful as to how you advertise it if your end goal is to be a pilot. The A&P can definitely help you land some positions, but you might find yourself spending significantly less time in the cockpit and more time turning wrenches.

If you're both a pilot and an A&P, be sure to consider each position you're pursuing when deciding just what you include on your resume.

Looking for a pilot job? Check out my Facebook Page.