View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 AM
NTT5418
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2009

Originally Posted by Hawker445 View Post
That is what i've been thinking about.....Go 10 years in..lose your medical."i forget everything what i learned from this degree". You're basically screwed either way. For me personally, i think it is wise to get a second degree for medical reasons.

From my observation i would say most pilots in the industry that are complaining are scaring future pilots away. And frankly..it's working.

My goal is to avoid regionals, and go for charter. I have connections that I know of that pay almost the same as a regional airline. The other consideration for getting a second degree is working that job part time and flight instructing, so that you actually have money going in.
IMO, it has nothing to do with what you "forgot" in between when you graduated and when you lost your medical 10 years later. A degree in engineering, accounting, or something else in demand checks a box on an application later on down the road. The problem with an aviation degree outside the aviation industry is that no one knows what the hell you did in college for 4 years. "What kind of degree is that?...You just flew planes?" ...you see where I'm going.

Believe it or not, college doesn't train you for the job you are going into, especially if its in something general like business. You get trained in your field once you get the job. You just need that specific degree they're looking for, and a "general knowledge" of the field.

I just don't see why anyone would get an aviation degree knowing full-well that the airlines don't care. To each his own I guess...

Last edited by NTT5418; 02-10-2013 at 10:41 AM.