View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 AM
tom11011
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

I left commercial aviation in 2000 as a regional captain. Before I left though I got 2 IT certifications. I got a Microsoft MCP and a Cisco CCNA.

I went to work nearly immediately for a corporation. These were the times before the "dot bomb" which really didn't effect me personally.

After a few years of doing IT installs, assisting sales guys in their meetings, and more, I thought to myself why don't I just do this on my own and keep all the profits. That's exactly what I did. I started a small IT consultancy and did fairly well.

Well, long story short, I sold my consultancy (my customer accounts) to a larger company and moved to Florida about a year and a half ago. I signed an agreement that I would not resume what I used to do for a year. That year has expired and I'm deciding if I should start up here in Florida doing what I used to do or maybe entertain flying again.

The flying bug doesn't go away, but I've taken comfort in the fact I have logged about 5000 hours with the airlines which makes me feel better knowing I could probably go back if I wanted. After I left the airlines, there was a period of a few years where I didn't fly at all. Then one day a few years ago, I bought an airplane and have been enjoying flying again on my own terms.

Hope that helps. Back when I left aviation it was UNHEARD of. Although I suspect it is much more common place now with pay, benefits, and quality of life issues getting so much worse.

It's a very personal decision obviously, but there is life after flying for the airlines!