View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
DakBroadbent
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

And while working on your PPL, do your lessons back-to-back, spending nights away from home at a La Quinta Inn. Don't forget to switch your body clock back and forth, and accomplish this routine over some weekends while friends are gathering for parties, beach trips, etc. etc.

I'm not trying to sound overly negative about flying, at all, BUT, flying for work means you stand an excellent chance of enduring the above (or similar enough) for years. Be advised that professionals in other fields who enter our field often report astonishment at the hostile treatment they receive at the hands of their own company.

As someone more poetic than I said, "The flying I'd do for free. Everything else requires lots of pay."

IMHO, you could have the best of both worlds by being home (albeit with probable long office hours), and flying on YOUR terms and schedule, with maybe some corporate included, to give you your pro-piloting fix.

Congrats and kudos on the opportunity you've created for yourself! It's a good spot, to be wanted and sponsored, and I'm sure it wasn't an accident.

PS: this is a devil's advocate message, NOT intended to imply I don't like flying for a living. But stark realities abound, in our biz, and I'm happy to throw some light on them, when asked.