View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
AirGunner
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011
Position: King of somewhere hot....

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I would say it depends on how exceptional the situation is. Aircraft with human pilots are also becoming safer and darn near immune to most threats, F-22, JSF. Do medals exist only for bravery, or also for exceptional performance and intelligence? These are good questions to ask IMO. I just don't think it's so cut and dry.

It's combat EVER going to be like it was back in WWI?
Excellent point... realize that there are some platforms (HH-60G's,AH-64's for example) that still get shot up on a daily basis. Not all are immune to threats but I understand your point.

However, there are already awards in place i.e. MSM's, Commendation & Achievement Medals. I see no need to establish a new award just for the cyber/RPA community. I realize that they don't qualify for DFC's or Air Medals, because they don't fly combat missions in person.

Personally, if I was an RPA operator and was awarded a MSM/AFCOM/Achievement Medal, I would feel honored and humbled to be recognized for doing a largely under-recognized job.

When we already have awards that are appropriate in place for the VITAL but, NON HAZARDOUS mission they perform...they should be awarded them if merited. To create an new award just for them is a waste of money in today's fiscally constrained enviornment. FWIW, I can't see the justification in it other than to stroke ego's of some who feel they should get the same awards as people who physically engage the enemy.