View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 PM
GunshipGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Permanently scarred

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Or maybe be instrumental in taking out an enemy force that is pinning down our ground forces, or able to coordinate with them in a way that is above and beyond what they usually do. Maybe it's recognizing someone in trouble that can't communicate, etc...
So in other words for doing their job? Full disclosure, 95% of the ribbons on my uniform were for just doing my job in a manner that was expected of me (or at least what I expected of myself). Granted, there's a need for recognizing the efforts of your people, but putting a this medal above a BSM? Hard to believe.

Seriously, what would a drone driver do that would be deserving of this medal that you wouldn't expect of him/her in the first place? Operate it in a manner for which they haven't been trained? Put themselves, I mean, the drone at risk of being shot down? As for finding someone or something that's difficult to find, protecting friendlies who can't get you on the radio, or taking out enemy combatants to save friendlies' lives, well that's what the job calls for, doesn't it? My squadron did that routinely these past 10+ years, and more often than not it was a "counter" toward an Air Medal...get 10 of them (now 15 or 20 I think) and you had enough missions to get an AM.