View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
FlyJSH
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Wow, tell us how you really feel?

What if they are instrumental in detecting and eliminating enemy that is pinning down our ground troops, against regular doctrine and procedure?

What if they recognize someone on the ground who is in distress and unable to communicate?

What if they...

This could go on and on. Some of you seem to hate the UAS operators because they are the "new kid" on the block. Face it, this is the future of warfare, and it will mean less people in harms way, but it doesn't mean the human element isn't important. It could be critical, and I'm sure there will be situations in the future where it is.
I, sitting in an airconditioned box miles behind the line (it was for the radios, not for me), should rate a medal equal to those who went in harms way???

I, as a SIGINT annalist, was instrumental in giving information to the folks on the front line. When I failed, guys I never knew died. When I gave good information, fewer people died, and more of our people came home.

I DO NOT want a combat medal. I DO NOT want to be recognized. Yes, I did my part. But I NEVER went in harms way.

Give me an ataboy for doing my job well, but I NEVER want to get an award equal to those who were on the front lines.

I took our failures very personally: families of those we gave incorrect information to, many of them died.

I did my best. But for me, my best will never be good enough. There were many times I gave good information, and many of my comrades lived. But there were times I, and my comrades, screwed up (we gave bad information) and people died. We failed. I go home wishing I had done better, and others went home in body bags.

Those who are on the front line should ALWAYS get the awards. They are the folks who risk leaving a family without a patriarch. They are the folks who will never come home.

On Veteran's Day or Memorial Day, I am one of the veterans who seeks no adoration. Yeah, I did my job and I helped, but I never went in harm's way. Give the awards to those who do. They are the ones who deserve it.