Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM
skork
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Default Shoot some holes, please! (airline career)

seeking input, both good and bad. been pursuing the airline pilot thing since 2007. my window for going for it is summer 2015. i am looking for input about what i have not considered or if my thinking has been flawed. i am Commercial and have about 1200 hours TT and still need to get my 100 multi, but lucky to have a buddy that wants to pay for the time building past my add on. he says he has to pay for the airplane anyways and if i want, i can pay him back after i make captain. will get another 200 hours as a sheriff volunteer pilot flying a C172. i already have the big custom house in a gated community, a VA disability that gives me some monthly income but more importantly covers 100% my son's college tuition in California and has no age limit for him. i can also draw on my CalPers retirement at age 50 that has a continual 2% adjusted COLA until they put me in the ground. wife just got appointed to a state employment position that is worth about a 10 year major FO pay at southwest. because of the early retirement money and my wife's pay, we can still pay all of our bills and have almost 2000 a month left over if i get furloughed. it is very true that i will lose out on retirement money but in retirement at age 65 i will still have monthly about $6000 left over with my early retirement and SS after all my recurring payments are paid and then a couple more thousand after my first mortgage is paid off. i also have saved about $30,000 for that first year pay and included $300 a month for 6 years into my calculations for a crash pad if needed. my calculations also include making Captain in the sixth year. i also have a Masters degree but will only stay at a regional for QOL issues because of age.

been married for 22 years to my high school sweetheart and she was my spouse when i was in the USAF as a navigator flying B-1s. she stated she would not hold me back from doing what i want to do but constantly states that the pay is crappy. my son is just about to turn 13 and will be 15 when i start applying.

i laid this info out because i want my family to have limited worries about a lowered income or lifestyle. my need from this forum is whether i have considered most of the gotchas before making the jump. thanks for listening.