Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Sounds like you have enough money to live on. A few holes...

Will your wife be happy with your perpetually deflated regional income? Even if you have enough to get by will she resent the fact that you're not pulling your weight?

Regionals are NOT looking to be stable in the long run. In fact the underlying business rational behind regionals depends on instability and churn in order for the regionals to keep money out of the hands of labor and in management pockets. Be careful putting a lot of effort, money, and time into building regional seniority only to have the rug yanked out from under you. You don't want to be commuting across country ate age 58 to sit reserve as a regional FO. I would just plan on heading straight for a major at the earliest opportunity...there should be enough hiring and your military background (and a few bone driver buddies) should help out.

Assuming CA goes bankrupt eventually, some of those sweet education bennies may not be there. I plan on using them, but I'm also saving in case they aren't there. If it works out, then I'll buy a boat or something with the money.