Thread: Gulfstream Girl
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
bcrosier
Eats shoots and leaves...

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Didactic Synthetic Aviation Experience Provider

Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
I see nothing wrong, she seems competent. My only complaint would be to not wear 4 stripes when you haven't really earned it yet.
Thank you!

As to the nothing wrong and competent - in the second video I see a couple of things that aren't quite right. On the approach, she's over controlling - it works, but to me it looks like what I suspect it is - a low time pilot operating near the top of their performance envelope. Not really wrong, but again goes back to this whole claiming to be a captain thing.

More disturbing is at about 1:30 into the video when the alternator failure occurs: I see two people involved in running the checklist, with no one really flying the airplane during for a bit. There is an initial transfer of control, but then the left seater is back into working the checklist. For something as minor as an alternator failure (in my extremely limited knowledge of Gulfstreams), it seems to point to less than 100% confidence in what the PM is doing, particularly given that the PM has completed a Part 142 program and been typed on the aircraft. That's certainly not solely her fault, but it's certainly a less than optimal situation.

It seems she runs her own company called Aviloop online, and she is a Speaker attending various conferences (no doubt paid for it too). She seems to be well rounded and business smart.
This I do agree with. She seems to be genuinely enthusiastic about what she's doing and where she is - good for her. Unlike many, I'm not so convinced that she's slept her way into her position, but I do think she's taking every advantage she can to promote herself. That rubs many in this business (including me, to be honest) the wrong way.

She says one of her goals (to paraphrase) is to be an ambassador for and promoter of aviation. Great! Like I said before - if she'd quit putting on four stripes every chance she gets when you're mugging for the camera, and instead came across just a bit more humbly and with more of an acknowledgement of how fortunate she is rather than portraying herself as a Gulfstream expert - many of us would enthusiastically support her. As it is, it's just a bit too "me, me, me - ish."