View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 AM
NoyGonnaDoIt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by eishinsnsayshin View Post
but not really cause you can't just use an aircraft and simulator, you must also go find yourself an ATD?

There is no section for completing instrument experience requirements using only an aircraft and simulator/FTD. There is a section (c)(5) for using a Simulator or FTD along with an ATD.

Am I interpreting this correctly? I feel that my interpretation is not the intention of the reg, but I think that's how it's written. Even though the requirements for your instrument stuff in an airplane is exactly the same as a simulator/FTD, I can't combine only the two of those? Seemed strange to me so I'm just looking for some clarification!

Thanks!
You're reading the words correctly. That's what it says. A lot of people noticed this when the new language became final (except, apparently, the FAA).

I discussed it by email with some folks at the FAA Airman Certification branch about a year ago. They informed me that there was no intent to remove the ability to combine an airplane and a sim/FTD to maintain currency. But that's small comfort until they actually change the reg to say what they mean.

This is one of an unfortunate number of problems caused by the re-write of 61.57.