Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
APM145
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Default Some help

Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Hey guys and gals,
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Have failed a few, but have learned a lot from instructing and was just wondering, does your check ride fail rate play heavily during the interview process.

If it does, how do you over come that??

Check ride failure rate is a big issue. The reason is that you have demonstrated a lack of proficiency in your flying ability when it was deemed by your instructor and you that you should be able to meet the minimum requirements for that rating sought.

That’s the bad part. The other side of the coin is that many people fail a check ride. I think generally two failed check rides will not alert an airline to much as long as you are very proficient and can take responsibility for your poor previous performance.

Now, how do you overcome these issues? Well how many do you have? Three failed check rides can be challenging but four or more will require some time. By time I mean hours of flight experience between your last failed check ride and now. Generally I would recommend 200 hours per bust above the average pilots hours for you to have a real shot.

After that you must prepare to talk about it with the interviewer. That means some interview prep. Maybe a friend or another pilot and learn to communicate effectively what happen and why. You have to take FULL responsibility for the check ride failures. There is never a valid reason to place the blame elsewhere.

I hope this helps and Good Luck