Thread: Would you leave Jetblue for United?

Kellwolf , 03-01-2013 01:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off
Kellwolf
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    May 2010
  • Position
    A320 FO
Quote: Sometimes I'm not sure if the union ends up helping or hurting us in the end. There are so many variables and scenarios to consider. I'm on the fence, but I do believe unions can end up negatively impacting our careers. Not every time, but it's not like they can only do good.
I'll agree it's a crap shoot in a lot of cases. My last carrier, if we didn't have a union, all the pilots and FAs might as well have been classified as indentured servants. In our case here, it's more of a known quantity in the event of a merger as well as locking in important things like health insurance and retirement with a side of scheduling rules. As it is right now, health care and retirement can be changed at will. Our scheduling rules are in a company manual that can also be changed at will. With a merger, sure we have language in our PEAs for that, but it depends on which lawyer you talk to on how it's going to work if it ever comes down to it. It's even a toss up on who's going to pay for what. I'd much rather have something akin to a scope clause in a standard aviation union contract that has decades of examples for the courts to draw from.