Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Snarge
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Common sense should be somewhat universal.
Translation... people should think like me. and if they don't they don't have common sense.

They are not any more expensive than if they took the same budgeted flight hours and flew them somewhere else. But since they could easily lead a casual observer to assume it's a waste off money, it only makes sense to stop for the time being.
we value other things more, but I digress....

Self-aggrandizing? Well it is a marketing effort, so maybe if you twist some adverbs around you could paint it is a self-aggrandizing.
what is marketing? Nothing but convincing people to vote, buy or choose something they normally would not.... also called propaganda..... but I digress...

The "MIL" we are talking about (individual airplanes, operators, and squadrons are not part of the MIC.
That is laughable... are you going to start talking Honor, Duty, Country now?

The MIC is certainly a legit concern, and requires constant vigilance to restrain. But the MIC is made up of corporations and political leaders (maybe a tiny handful of very senior military officers are peripherally involved). Remember, the military leaders who actually make large-scale funding decisions are elected or appointed civilians. That major or captain doing the flyover wasn't the guy who contracted with Lock-Mart to provide his airplane.
Sorry, weren't you advocating common sense? What constant vigilance? If soldiers have duty, honor country then should not the corporations that profit from the killing, rape and suicides have duty, honor country too? Or are they a special class that gets to lobby the govt to defund Veteran support programs so they can get richer?

From the military perspective, a stadium full of 100,000 people is a prime opportunity to get some positive exposure towards recruiting. I doubt the corporation benefits very much...the flyover is not the reason all those people bought tickets. The military is taking advantage of an opportunity to reach out to a big crowd (provided by the corporation), not vice versa. Another example: Movies. When the DoD allows it's hardware to participate in movie making 1) The movie has to have recruiting value and 2) the film-maker pays the cost...all of it.
maybe if the MIL suicides weren't an issue, and since the economy doesn't offer livable jobs, the MIL wouldn't have to come to schools to indoctrinate and use flyovers to 'market' joining the empire. But you gotta lie and sell somehow...

Like we keep saying, flyover money is not "extra" money...it's going to be spent on flight hours anyway. IMO it would be worth the cost of the flight time just for the recruiting benefit.

Honestly, you have a seriously warped perspective about the realities of government, the military, and finance. I'm no apologist for what's wrong with the system, but your attitudes border on tin-foil hat conspiracy theories. Your problem here is that you're debating with a bunch of folks who have years (decades) of experience and perspective on these issues from both from the inside and outside. There are probably forums elsewhere where your highly simplified outlook would be welcomed with open arms. This forum is not kindergarten (maybe junior high school, but not kindergarten).
no... I just have different values. People on this forum, this MIL forum, readily accept violence, rape, killing, invasion, occupying, etc.. as normal and acceptable.... oh, they will justify that war is peace, and it's all defense...... it's like trying to convince a Saudi man that woman is equal...