Old 03-05-2013, 05:45 AM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by Moby Dick View Post
Vags,

You get qualified on Capt. IOE with an IP in the right seat. Its not that big a deal.
True statement for most pilots in the US as they may spend almost half a generation, and even more with some carriers, in the right seat before getting their command.

Beyond the borders of the US, it's a different story. Time to command may be as little as 3 to 4 years with 3 to 4 thousand hours in the logbook. Most join foreign carriers as cadets with about 250 hours TT. Most of the flying with most non US carriers is with full automatics with very little manual flying.

On the other hand, I encourage all my FOs to hand fly without FDs A/Ts, and delay AP engagement until underway above 10,000' with disconnect below 15,000'. The automatics are always available, but most decline to use them.

I don't place weather, wind or visability limits on my FOs. I'll take control if the situation starts to go pear shape. After all, how else will FOS gain the experience?