Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Exclamation

Originally Posted by brylove7 View Post
I need a college degree before i get into aviation? i didn't know about that i thought that was optional because i went to these flight schools like Pan Am, ATP and such, College degree was not mentioned or said, or that college degree will get me a job at Pan Am one insturctor said that to me but the airlines didn't need a college degree or am i wrong about this?

I even went to a couple of websites and they said college degree is optional that i can get training, the Airlines care more is the hours and the licenses of the person i believe or am i wrong with this?

And i did tried to get a degree in my local college, Miami Dade college, but i was rejected off college because i failed a test in remedial math and i can't get finanical aid with that so i decided its better for me to go to an academy where i can get something much quicker.

So Aviation takes a long time to get a license? also which Flight School is the best because thats where i am going for as well. If its possible?

The degree is NOT required to get any pilot's license. You would also not need a degree to get an entry-level pilot job such as flight instruction or even flying very small cargo planes at night...but those jobs have crapy pay and QOL and little or no benefits. People really only do those kinds jobs to build flight experience to qualify for airline jobs (or good corporate jobs), they are jobs you'd want to do for long.

A pilot license alone will not get you an airline job...you'll need at LEAST 1500 hours of flight experience and an ATP license. Almost nobody can afford to just buy 1500 hours, so you'll need to work entry-level jobs.

If regionals are having trouble hiring pilots you won't need the degree there. But to get any job that's worth a damn (ie major airlines) you will need a degree.

FYI, flight school salesmen are generally con-men, their business is to take money away from people who are ill-informed about aviation. You can easily tell when they are lying to you...any time their lips are moving. Common lies...

- The words "Pilot Shortage"
- You'll get an airline job within a year
- You won't need instructor certificates
- You won't need to work as a flight instructor
- You won't need a degree to succeed

Do NOT get into large debt for flight training...your first ten years of aviation will not allow you to make the loan payments. You don't need to spend $70K, you should be able to get the ratings you need for $35-40K.

Read some of the threads on these forums, then you'll be able to ask more informed questions. Start here:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/fl...reer-read.html

Last edited by rickair7777; 03-05-2013 at 07:38 PM.