View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
lbfowlerjrmd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: faa sr. medical examiner (HIMS)
Default HIMS costs - average

to get your license back costs about $4 to 6K 1st year to issuance - can run 50% more and if a 28d treatment program is needed, that's an add on. This is for drugs/alcohol. Costs about the same for approval of antidepressants. Behavioral issues such as anger management same. Expensive? Yes. Any different than for say lawyers doctors etc. Doctors have to go away for treatment for a min of 90 day usually 180 and then remain out of practice for a year before returning to work and a 5 year monitoring program (eerrrr . . . i should know). Lawyers can sometimes avoid the inpatient treatment but otherwise the same - for nurses too. I bring this up as airmen are taken aback by the costs. Your humble HIMS AME is low man on the totem pole costs - i charge $600 to 1800 depending on complexity. The rest goes for drug testing, psychiatrists, psychologists, cognitive testing, travel costs, meetings etc...

Is is worth it - for many it is . . . and many not. For me yes it was worth it as i would not be writing this . . . or flying when i can.