Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 AM
kingsnake2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2012

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
The degree is NOT required to get any pilot's license. You would also not need a degree to get an entry-level pilot job such as flight instruction or even flying very small cargo planes at night...but those jobs have crapy pay and QOL and little or no benefits. People really only do those kinds jobs to build flight experience to qualify for airline jobs (or good corporate jobs), they are jobs you'd want to do for long.

A pilot license alone will not get you an airline job...you'll need at LEAST 1500 hours of flight experience and an ATP license. Almost nobody can afford to just buy 1500 hours, so you'll need to work entry-level jobs.

If regionals are having trouble hiring pilots you won't need the degree there. But to get any job that's worth a damn (ie major airlines) you will need a degree.

Do NOT get into large debt for flight training...your first ten years of aviation will not allow you to make the loan payments. You don't need to spend $70K, you should be able to get the ratings you need for $35-40K.

Read some of the threads on these forums, then you'll be able to ask more informed questions. Start here:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/fl...reer-read.html
All this is exactly correct. I'm a litle less cynicle when it comes to flight schools than Rick, but other than that he is spot on.

You pretty much have to have a 4 year degree (in anything) to work at a major airline. That is the first step.

A lot of people earn their 1500 hours by becoming CFIs and then working to get their hours (as well as paying off their loans).

Lastly, part 141 schools allow you to graduate more quickly if you are dedicated to getting there.

I would suggest US Aviation Academy if you are willing to move. The program I linked to brings you all the way to CFI from no training for about $40,000. You would have to move to Denton, TX for that time (and afterwards if you decided to work as a CFI for them too).