View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 AM
WHACKMASTER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.
Talking

Originally Posted by texaspilot76 View Post
Haven't head much from the Southwest camp lately. Any plans on hiring or taking applications soon? Last I heard from a SW pilot was that they were going to have a lot of retirements, but he didn't know about hiring.
Hiring?! I think furloughs are much more likely than hiring over the next few years. As for "a lot of retirements" only a little over 1,200 combined from the 10 year period from 2011 (just a few months after the merger) to the end of 2020. The combined pilot count at the time of the merger was in the high 7,000s.

A little over 1,200 retirements in 10 years from a group of almost 8,000 is nothing earth-shattering and certainly WAY less percentage wise than the legacies. Assuming hiring only for retirements, those at the bottom of the list are looking at a twenty year upgrade. I suppose that's why many are leaving or looking to leave. Well, that and some are leaving due to the "I despise SWA" syndrome.

Before you go there.......sorry fellas, no one else will hire me. Looks like you're stuck with me!