Thread: Hiring Bonus
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Magpuller
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012

Originally Posted by twebb View Post
If you don't want to sign the contract, don't go to the company. If enough people do that, they will drop that requirement. If you do go to the company and sign the contract, man up, and pay the people. There is more than enough information out there to understand what a company is like before you sign on. I don't agree with contracts for employment, but I do agree that even a handshake a man should honor.
I agree. but also disagree. I think companies that make pilots sign these types of agreements deserve the hassle of having to collect on them if warranted. There are only what, 2 maybe three airlines left in the US that does this? The training contract is dying. They aren't ethical and it's really pretty absurd that an employer charges their employees for the cost of doing business. I doubt anyone here would disagree with that. And insofar as "manning up" and paying what you owe I don't think that's the way to see it. The more RAH pilots that leave before year two for a better job the more likely it will be for RAH to do away with the agreement. So it's a double edged sword...

One can say don't goto RAH if you don't want to be liable for the contract..But in some cases RAH is the right move despite the nature of the beast and then what, a pilot should have to sit there for two years and turn down a more lucrative job due to a contract that should not exist in the first place?..Busting the contract is obviously the job of the union, but when the union fails to step up then it's up to individuals to stand up against nonsense...

In my opinion this isn't about an honorable obligation towards a debt but the imposition of an unjustified debt and an individual's right to say "hell no." RAH HAS to type their pilots....so does every other airline. If they really and truly feel that the EJet training is that costly to their bottom line then they need to proceed like SWA and only offer employment on that airframe to those who are already typed. It's my position that the first act of dishonor (the existence of a training contract) when it comes to stuff like this negates a pilot from honoring the debt ethically and RAH should reap what it sews.

Last edited by Magpuller; 03-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.