View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 AM
satpak77
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by untied View Post
I can answer that one....

Southwest offers low frills for low fares. People don't expect much, and they aren't disappointed. You don't complain about "bare bones" service because you expect it to be lacking. (That explains why the complaints are lower).

Legacy carriers offer higher levels of service for a more discriminating crowd. We might get a complaint from a first class passenger that the vintage of wine served was not to his liking.

So....even though our passenger is in a comfy "bed" seat with a large TV and a high level of service, they are more likely to complain. They simply expect more.

Southwest is excellent at what they do. If they want to be successful at long haul, international flying....they will have to change who they are.

That sounds like a bad idea to me. Why mess with success??
I disagree with this post. SWA has won numerous Customer Service awards / customer treatment awards, over the years. This is not by magic.

Legacy carriers, such as "old" AA, rank at the bottom for customer service. Bigger, costlier, and worse in customer service. This includes international, which myself, who personally has flown AA as a paying passenger (to include in First Class), and I have witnessed many areas where Customer Service could be improved

I agree SWA is successful. This does not mean they have to stick to the domestic model forever, or avoid changing with the times. "Going international" does not mean tomorrow, 50 new flights to Europe. But, I don't see why one flight a year, one to Cancun, then another flight following year to Dom Rep, is impossible. Maybe just a seasonal flight for starters. Cities such as those are no-brainers, you are gonna fill the plane no matter what. Midway-Cancun and Islip-Santo Domingo. You will fill the plane all day long.

International involves host nation customs, slots, ATC, local hiring, etc. It obviously is not "a new route into Nebraska" etc.