Old 03-17-2013, 04:48 AM
mspano85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by Bellanca View Post
I learned in Archers so I'm definitely partial to them.

What's the cheapest? Are they similarly equipped? I agree with steam gauges being better than glass at this stage in the game. You can always learn glass later.

As others have said, what is the likelihood you will be leaving this school and going somewhere else? 172's are more common than Archers.

Low wings are kind of nice in the traffic pattern because you can always have the runway in view, but I think archers are maybe slightly harder to land than a 172. I think the cockpit of the Archer is slightly roomier/more comfortable than the 172. High wings are nice if you want to do sightseeing, and the wing can give you some extra shade on a hot sunny day.

They are both fun to fly and solid trainers. Just pick one and stick with it until you finish private pilot. Once you take the checkride, get checked out in the other. With cessnas and pipers being the two most common trainers out there, it is worth being comfortable flying each by the time you get your commercial/CFI (assuming you are planning on doing this as a career).
Piper is cheaper, but not by much. They are both similarly equipped. It is very unlikely that I would be changing schools because 1) I live right next to it, and 2) since I'm going through a college curriculum for the training, I have to use a school approved by them. Frederick Flight Center and Advanced Helicopter Concepts are the only schools available within 50 miles of my house.

They used to have an approved school at Montgomery Airpark, but I don't know what happened. I think Montgomery County and PG County Airports are having issues due to being so close to D.C. and the restricted fly zones.

Frederick seems to on the outside of that bubble.

I definitely plan to get checked in both. I want to be a CFII so it is essential to be able to train in both.

Thanks for the advice!