Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 PM
word302
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by Yoda2 View Post
Any input, OK... Don't start flying an airplane until you get the knowledge test passed, it will be good for 2 years anyway. I have seen too many students have unnecessary difficulty with flight training due to not having done that. The two biggest reasons for getting the knowledge test completed, first, are that you will have learned much information that you can bring to you flight lessons, all of it actually.... This will save you a lot of time and money. Additionally, you will not have this monkey on your back when approaching the end of flight training and you will not be dealing/juggling two separate deals at once. When you get to your flight training you will be better able to focus all your efforts on that. Concentrate now on your book study and getting a good score on the test; the plane and instructor will be there... Personally, as mentioned I'd use the Cessna.
I don't agree with this line of thinking at all. I find that students understand the concepts they learn in ground school much better if they can apply them in the airplane. Concepts and theory are really foreign to most students until they can get in the cockpit and see them at work. I always recommend students take ground/flight training concurrently for a better understanding and a more thorough grasp of the concepts. Visual learners pick up much faster with this method in my experience.

To each his own I guess.