View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 10:14 AM
RXS676
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

I really don't think comparable training, for a comparable number of hours and in comparable equipment, can be had for a lower price that a program like ATP, at least for someone who lives in Southern California. There are only a few flight schools here that have complex and multiengine aircraft, and they are located at large airports and are very expensive. Many of them won't even allow you to rent their twins for anything other than dual instruction and checkrides, which will make it difficult to build ME PIC time.

There is also the issue of opportunity cost, which is significant for a working professional who is planning on leaving his work and training full-time. Of course, I am addressing only cost here, but finishing in three months is much less expensive that six months, even if the cost of the flying itself is $10,000 more.

I really enjoyed getting my private at a local airport, I love the small airport environment and camaraderie, and I would love to continue training in that environment. But I have crunched the numbers forward and backwards and I just can't conclude that it is best financially.

As for the hiring minimums at regionals, I think it's foolish to think that those minimums, and the hiring boom in general, will last forever. Whatever level of experience (total time, ME time, or whatever) is competitive today may not be in six months.