Thread: Vmc question
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Yoda2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Another myth is that the FAA's Vmca certification test is the worst case scenario; it is not, but close enough for it's purposes; and that also needs to be explained to a student. Addressing other points... What responsible instructors are doing or attempting to do is teach some additional information that can make the difference, be lifesaving or provide increased insight or understanding, Etc. It frosts me that, due to the construction and operation of our flight training system, most students are only trained and prepared with passing an examination as the goal. While the FAA stipulates minimum standards regarding rules, Regs, training and testing criteria, Etc. They are by no means the last word on safety, training or competence, Etc. Geez, spin recovery training is not even required; and that is just plain foolish. I also have never liked the fact that someone can get a multi rating in a low powered, counter rotating "trainer" twin, as most do. I think that is fine if that is all they will fly. I think there should be an additional ME rating to include a "real", conventional, twin. I always encourage everyone to learn as much as possible and I always give more then they are expecting; largely to prepare them for or better operate in the real world. Misinformation, misundertanding and inadequate knowledge abound in this business and that is also unfortunate. That is largely due to folks not taking the time to properly research, Etc. when it is easier to parrot or just believe what you are told. Students should be able to count on a flight instructor for correct information though many times that is not the case as even instructors fall victim to and contribute to this situation. On another note... I have a fairly large aviation library which of course includes Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators. One of my favorite books is an antiquated text from the "Empire Test Pilots School" (which trained many RAF students) It is titled "Anatomy of an Aeroplane" and is a first edition. "Cub driver" might find this interesting as well. You can probably still find a copy online.