View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by Laughing_Jakal View Post

For every pilot that the 767 is undermanned by as computed by the ratio (it is converted by the whole number of bodies to get the ratio back in whack), the company has to publish TWO 757 reserve lines that are pseudo widebody lines. Every activity in that month, be it draft, volunteer, makeup, vacation buy back, etc. will be at WB pay. This results in an effective Net GAIN of one WB position for the period of time until it is properly manned. (One WB line that "should have been in the 76 bid pack" an one more WB line as the penalty.....net gain of One)

Those WB paying lines in the 75 bid pack were referred to as "queen for a month lines". Since most enough are reasonably smart, if a pilot were to hold those lines, you could probably expect to see them doing a lot of activities that month. Even Carryover from the previous month would count. So not only will they pay for the WB line that should have been in the 76 bid pack, they'll also have to pay for an ADDITIONAL WB line PLus pay WB for all the whoring these "Queens" do that month. So there is an incentive to have them manned appropriately to the flying hour ratio because for every pilot they underman in the 76, they will pay greater than a 100% penalty.

So are you choosing B, or do I need to add another choice?

D) More than one R-24 line in the B-757 bid period package that pays the B-767 rate

I think you're on the right track, because I'm not asking about the formula ("2 for 1"), I'm asking about the penalty to The Company. What will it actually cost them? How much of a disincentive will it really be?

In that vein, consider what that second B-757 pilot would have been doing had he not been awarded the B-767 RP-24 line. What pay rate would he have earned? What's the difference between the wide-body rate and the narrow-body rate at his longevity year group? The difference is the penalty for every CH he earns. In other words, The Company is not charged the full cost of a B-767 pilot, it is only charged the difference in the pay rates.

Also consider that the first B-757 RP-24 pilot only costs the difference in pay rates, and he's also most likely junior to the B-767 pilot he "replaced." He actually comes at a discount, being a B-757 pilot with, say, 7 years of service instead of 15 years of service. He's cheaper than the B-767 pilot he replaced.

So, instead of paying one 15-year B-767 pilot the 15-year wide-body rate and one 7-year B-757 pilot the 7-year narrow-body rate, The Company pays one 7-year B-757 pilot the 7-year wide-body rate (a discount from the 15-year rate) and one 7-year B-757 pilot the 7-year wide-body rate (a markup from the 7-year narrow-body rate). The Company gets a savings on the first RP-24, and pays a small premium on the second RP-24.

Is there really any penalty at all?

Originally Posted by Laughing_Jakal View Post

I'm not surprised many don't understand these things because when the road show was going on, many just bypassed the meeting to go home or were busy in the ops area munching popcorn and drinking coffee with their DP flying friends. (That was not directed at you Tony)

You know I would have been there if I had been in town.