View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM
cadetdrivr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by EWR73FO View Post
You got any reference to support the insurance payments? We were under the inpression UAL never did it at all.
UAL ALPA absolutely did a "furlough fund" to provide medical benefits to furloughed pilots in need. Funds were assessed from the paychecks of all active pilots to provide the $$$. This was not the first time that UAL pilots steeped up to the plate, a similar program was also conducted during the furloughs following 9/11.

# # #

To all Furlough Fund Participants,

As you know we have reached the end of the Furlough Fund, and the final checks were issued on Friday, 1 February 2013. As I prepare the final Furlough Fund report for the UAL MEC I would like to include personal testimonials of how the Furlough Fund has helped our furloughees. If you would like to share your story in this report, or even just a simple thank you, please send me an e-mail by Tuesday, 12 February 2013 to be included. If you want to share your story but remain anonymous, let me know and I will de-identify it before including it.

I know how vital this fund has been to many of you. It has been an honor to manage the process of the UAL MEC Furlough Fund and ensure that the assessed funds from our membership were distributed in accordance to the bylaws governing the Furlough Fund.

I look forward to receiving your testimonials.

Fraternally,

J. Todd Coomans
ALPA, UAL MEC Furlough Coordinator

# # #

Furlough Fund Dissolution
For those of you still participating in the Furlough Fund this will serve as a final notice of the dissolution of the Furlough Fund. This is in accordance with the bylaws governing the fund (UAL MEC Policy Manual Volume II Section XVII Paragraph B-f), which states:

“The Fund Dissolution Date shall be determined, but will not exceed three (3) years beyond the last furlough effective date. The Fund will not reimburse eligible furloughed United Airlines pilots health and welfare insurance premium expenses incurred after the dissolution date.”

Our last furlough group was furloughed three years ago, 19 November 2009. The last eligible reimbursement from the fund will be for November 2012 health and dental coverage costs. November 2012 Furlough Fund reimbursement requests must be received at the UAL MEC Office by 25 January 2013 in order to be processed. Any reimbursement application forms received after the deadline will have exceeded the 60 day from payment submission requirement and will not be processed. No extensions will be granted, as the last reimbursement checks will be issued at the end of January 2013.

# # #

August 26, 2009

Dear Fellow Pilot,

With our pilots facing the last round of previously announced furloughs, our Furlough Fund continues to provide COBRA payment assistance to those pilots already furloughed. As I advised you at the start of this assessment, I would continue to evaluate the program and the amount of funds we had available to assist our furloughed brothers and sisters.

With the combination of the Obama stimulus money supplementing COBRA payments and approximately $90,000/month going out, the balance of the fund stands in very good shape. Although you can never be sure of the level of participation with our future furloughees and whether the government plan will be extended past the end of this year, I believe that it is safe to lower the assessment again.

For that reason, the assessment will be reduced to .05% (from .10%) of your wages each month. Both the pilots on ACO and also on direct bill will see the change beginning Sept. 1, 2009. For those of you not on ACO, I again strongly suggest that you sign up for the ease and convenience of the billing process.

Your support for our furloughees has been unwavering throughout and I thank you in advance for your continued support.

Fraternally,

Joseph A. Genovese, Jr.
UAL-MEC Secretary Treasurer

# # #

10/9/08

To All United Pilots,

As you are aware, the United pilots have been asked to consider a ballot to decide on whether to assess the membership up to 1% to cover COBRA expenses for furloughed pilots. Your MEC Officers believe that this goes beyond the decision to just help those brothers and sisters who have or will lose their jobs as a result of management decisions. We believe that your decision should also be based in the sense of unity and solidarity. We need to demonstrate that this pilot group is cohesive and stands united behind its furloughed brothers and sisters.

The ballot closes at 10 a.m. Eastern time on Friday, Oct. 10. Below are instructions on how to cast your ballot. You are encouraged to show your support and unity to not only those who are furloughed, but to all United pilots.

We are a union of pilots. We also are a union of families. Many of your brothers and sisters in the cockpit need you to step up and support this fund.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 03-27-2013 at 08:59 AM.