View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Flyinhigh
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by FLY6584 View Post
The sad part is more dudes are worried about Tuition Assistance being cut making it harder for them to get a Masters degree to make Major than they are worried about flying hours being cut. We have completely lost focus of what's important in the Air Force. The Air Force has breed this culture that it is more important to get a BS Masters degree to check a box and plan the Air Force ball than it is to become the absolute best pilot you can be.

I am a Distinguished Graduate out of UPT, volunteered to FAIP regardless of the fact that I was number 1 in my class and could have chosen anything else, I have flown and worked my ass off since I've been in the Air Force, have received all Q1's with zero downgrades and over a dozen commendables on all my checkrides, but according to the latest Major board results I have a 21% chance of making Major because I do not have a Masters degree in basket weaving from Phoenix University.
The original purpose of the "GI Bill" was to help veterans transition back to the civilian world after WWII. Over the years it really got screwed up as more and more of the senior leadership placed emphasis on an officer and enlisted corps with undergraduate and advanced degrees. Then the diploma mills opened up on just about every base as the program gained traction (like Weber State and USC).
I made 0-4 without the masters but that was the end of the promotions. I stood on my principles that the money should be used to transition you to the outside world after you seperated or retired. I was fortunate enough to get hired by a major airline right after I retired, so I never used any of my GI Bill money. Didn't need it, didn't use it, saved the US some money.
I would be interested to know the statistics on how many of the young enlisted in all services came in because of the tuition assistance. Does it really help recruiting? What is the return on the investment? What type of education are they getting? Is it helping to ease them into the civilian world?