Old 03-31-2013, 07:55 AM
GearMover
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: A-320

Originally Posted by sulkair View Post
A few positives just for fun.

#1) Training

I don't know how to compare our training department to others because I've only been here, but after 10 years here, many years in the Navy and in other professional fields I am continually impressed with the degree of professionalism that the individual instructors, examiners and check-airmen exude. With rare exception they have always been extremely competent, understanding, helpful, and enjoyable.

Strangely whenever I've been in the pipeline for a transition (3 different a/c over 2 different certificates) or upgrade, or recurrent. I absolutely feel like I'm at a different company. Hell even ASAP remedial was a pleasure - sorry it's true!

You will have a solid training experience here, no doubt about it!

#2)

Chief Pilots out west are phenomenal! (Can't speak to the ones out east) These guys work their asses off for the pilot group. In many cases their hands are tied, but they persist in trying to do the right thing and are extremely fair. They are not out to get you, and are real pilot's pilots, (experienced pilots from the old school). We're dang lucky to have them, and most of us know it!

#3)

Down to earth professional crews who work hard, fly well, and act like decent human beings to one another and the people they come in contact with i.e. station personnel. Sounds mushy but we're all beat up and we know it, the only thing we truly have is each other, and so we tend to protect it, for sanity's sake.

#4)

A fleet of big RJ's.

#5)

Electronic Flight Bag! Yes, i know we have to pay for the Ipad ourselves but I don't mind because this is huge

#6)

Very good on-time/completion numbers which hopefully translates into extended contracts and future business. Please see #3 for the reason behind this.

This is not Koolaid guys. Trust me, I'm a big critic of this place, but I also know good things when I see them, and what I've mentioned in this post is the truly good, and not the only good, there is more, but this stands out for me.

I agree 1000%. The training department is awesome. I've seen guys having difficulty with parts of training and the instructors, on their own time, spend as much time as needed until they UNDERSTOOD. Same with the sim(they dont have as much time but they will work hard with you) I would say to a man the training department wants you to pass. They know the time effort and sacrfice you put in to get there they are going to make sure you make it. (You have to show the will and desire to pass if you show unprepaired and dont care then you're going to have trouble)

Chief pilots will go to bat for you as long as your honest. You can be 100% wrong and they will still fight for you. They do have to answer to management so they have their limits but great group.

Crews-never discount how important this is. There are several Mesa lifers but it is by choice 99% of them are just hard working good people its hard to put into words how nice it is to show up to a plane and know that even if everything goes wrong with the trip (weather maint) the crew you are with are going to take it in stride, do what needs to be done and go home safe at the end of the trip.

9 new CRJ-900's coming on line in the next few months. Don't discount the fact that Mesa has only 700/900's (go! is a Mesa product so I don't count it in the fleet count). These aircraft are in demand and I can't see them going away any time soon.

I've been furloughed and came back, I have many friends who didn't come back but wish they did and more friends who went to another carrier and came back. LIFE AT MESA IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. I've flown with the 25 year guys who say Mesa sucks but they are the guys who STAYED and did nothing (worked with ALPA on contracts) to change the things that are wrong. There are bitter guys like SKILLET who have something bad to say about everything yet when you point the way to the door have a million excuses why they are still here.

If you are a new hire there is a chance you may get Hawaii I wont pull any punches it is very expensive. I've been there I was paying more for a room then for an apartment back east. If your single and flexable you can make it work. Remember the crews at Mesa are great when you get there they will help you any way they can. go! is understaffed and thats not going to change. Name another place where you can get off the plane change into you board shorts grab your surfboard out of the crew room get on the bus and hit the waves? Island flying is hard (8+ legs a day of about 20min each) but you will learn so much about flying the CRJ from it. As I said before IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.

YEP SCREW schedualing is horrible but I don't know of any place that has schedualing that calls and says "hey we had someone call out and would like it for you to show up to take the flight but if you dont want to dont worry about it you just do what you want and we'll work around what works best for you" if you're dealing with these people get ready its going to suck for you.

Mesa screws up paychecks, benifits, calling on days off and much much more deal with it professionally and you will be fine.

The contract sucks but I am one that believes pay and other areas will need to get better because of new aircraft and Mesa has to bring people in to fly them. Stand by on this one I'm sure management will kick and scream about everything but I also think they understand it needs to be done.

If you come to Mesa as a new hire come in knowing with the shortage of pilots is going to make things "interesting". The staffing issue is something every regional will have to deal with very soon do some research on your own. Where ever you go start with a good attitude and good luck!