View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Flyinhigh
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by MD114Ever View Post
Obviously, when sick or not fit to fly, don't hesitate to call in sick.

When considering how often to call in sick or whether or not one should use MUS/MUD, consider your age and how many years you have for the company to contribute to your 401K. $15,000-$17,000/per year into one's 401K beginning around the age of 50 will compound nicely.

Once you reach 60 or so, consider another strategy to manage your sick bank.
My "strategy" was two fold. Once I hit the magic number, I got the 401(K) deposit for a few years plus I had almost 10 months of sick leave to use if something catastrophic happened to me. Just call in sick and change default bid to highest paying line with carryover. Wife wouldn't have to deal with LTD or any other stuff for quite a while. Between vacation and my sick bank I could draw a full paycheck for well over a year. The last year before retirement I started to draw it down a little bit (but it still bothered me to call in sick when I knew I could probably have gone to work.) What ever works for you is okay with me. Sorry you think I am dumb for doing what I thought was in my best interest and showing a little integrity.