Thread: Eagle Air Med
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM
rv8builder
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Eagle Air Med also operates under other names, and is actually "Scenic Aviation," our of Blanding, Utah. They've changed names to try to bolster their image, and are in business because of ties formed with the Navajo nation. They lost their certification at one point, and have wrecked a number of aircraft in the past. They've even managed to land aircraft out of fuel on mountainsides at least twice (Chief Pilot did that). It's a family-owned and run business. They have had a long history of 1-hour annual inspections and hundred hours, and unless things have changed drastically, are to be absolutely avoided.

Don't say you weren't warned.
So much misinformation in this post.

EAM definitely has a cowboy past, but that attitude is long gone.

It is now owned by the Air Medical Resource Group based in Utah.

They have gone from running air ambulance in 172s 30 years ago to over 4 dozen aircraft based all over the country, including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico- from Senecas to Learjets, as well as rotorcraft.

There was a CFIT with 3 fatalities in 2007, I can say with absolute certainty that the safety culture of this company has evolved light years since then. Not once in 3 years have I ever had a safety decision of mine questioned, even when I had turned down critical patient flights.

Maintenance is good- almost no MELs, and the king airs are well equipped. John Burke must have some kind of axe to grind (fired?) but obviously has not been around the company for some time.

I'm pretty anal with maintenance and safety stuff, and honestly I can't complain about this company. I have never been questioned about writing up/grounding an aircraft. Never.

In terms of medical crew "running the show", the purpose of this business is to provide the best patient care we can... if a patient needs to go to a certain hospital, that's where they need to go- unless the pilot feels he cannot get them there safely. Then you'll find a different hospital. Simple and clear communications with the med crews can determine patient outcomes- just like CRM between your copilot/FAs determines safety of flight. Being a good team player is a must.

PMs are welcome!