View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Lobaeux View Post
I'd agree, but don't overlook the regionals. Don't look at it as a "step down", they're full up airlines, they just don't pay as much. It's not like they're a junior league of anything like that. I'll use American Eagle as an example, it really appears to me that they run an extremely professional outfit, and to the OP and some of the others, I highly suggest you apply.

All of us have to swallow some humble pie every once in a while. I'll give my own example. I had PCS'd to Laughlin AFB as an IP, a senior Captain, just about to meet my Major's board when I showed up in the training squadron. The flight I was placed in, I was the junior, junior IP. I was made Assistant ASEM, think assistant mini-evaluator within a student light. My supervisor? A Lieutenant who had just graduated UPT and IP school a few months before I did. I had flown in combat, had deployed to Iraq, the Middle East, made multiple oceanic crossings, yet I was subordinate to a guy who just a few months prior was sitting in those same students seats we were now responsible for training. A little humbling, yet I was a "sponge" and learned, learned about a plane I was new to, yet he had been flying for nearly a year. A great experience, I was apprehensive about going, but in the end, I'm extremely glad I did.

Not saying you or anyone else feels "entitled", although there's a lot of those accusations flying around on these boards. But, if you want to get back ino the game, and it sounds like you do, you need to play by the rules in place. I wouldn't worry, I'm sure you'd spend no more than six months at any job you'd get before moving on anyways. There's no replacement for experience, and it sounds like you've got it.

Whatever you do, don't give up! Keep fighting, keep going, and I'm sure someone will call. Really, it's only a matter of time.

Good luck!
Nothing against regionals, I recommended a local job vice a regional because a regional will involve a lengthy training process followed by a likely commute to low seniority and poor schedule. If you're going to leave anyway I'd try to avoid all that time away from home.