View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM
filejw
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: retired

Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
Look at the millions of dollars and dozens of Gucci loafers that Middle East carriers are spending to lobby our government to allow these carriers to take over our flying. "Low fares", "hot flight attendants", etc. etc. etc.

What those carriers want right now is for the US pilots to fracture into little groups of independent unions, each trying to protect their own little piece of turf, so that there is no consistent, powerful, single voice to represent US pilots and their jobs in front of Congress. I would not be surprised to see them trying in the future to subsidize the DPA, UPU, and these other splinter groups to try to help destroy the voice of ALPA.

I know that there is a lot of frustration over a really crappy decade of this profession, but if that frustration forces us to splinter apart and become subject to attack on multiple fronts from these carriers then we will have truly not learned a thing from this consolidation. Just at the time that we are advancing our careers back, not fast enough but as fast as we can, it would be insane for us to break apart and let these people come and buy their way into stealing our jobs forever. Once they are gone they are gone forever.

The DPA is now just an organization dedicated to spewing bile about ALPA. They have no agenda. Their lawyer Lee Seham, helps finance and support this bile spewing as it has made him millions of dollars from labor groups and he has delivered almost nothing in return. Look at USAPA, all their dues money went to him and they haven't had a pay raise in 7 years. Their seniority fight is almost over and they are losing so it was all for nothing. I think it is clear that the Delta pilots are not going to be the next set of chumps to fall for this ruse.

Is there some point where the DPA folks will rise up from their bitterness and look around at what the real threats are in this industry? How are we going to counter these well organized, well financed threats if we continue to fracture? United we stand, divided we fall.
I think the ideal solution would to tell the Emirates and Qatars of the world that they need to have to X number of pax on each flt be residents of the UAE. The Japanese did this to NWA in certain markets in the 90's ..