View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 02:35 PM
GunshipGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Permanently scarred

Originally Posted by DeadHead View Post
For every ALPA apologist, there is an ALPA antagonist.

Just like US politics, I find the radicals to be the most disconnected from the actual issues as they become infatuated with their own selfish causes.

Regarding union politics, are we not allowed, as a dues paying members, to criticize and/or question the direction of our association from time to time?

My major gripe with union politics is much the same as it is with governmental politics regarding the chasmal disconnect between an elected official and the constituents to whom they were chosen to represent.

In my opinion, it is disingenuous to live like a king while many of the individuals you have been chosen to represent are left suffering under slave wages and menial work rules. So I'm clear here, I'm not talking about us, I'm talking about the many regional pilots out there who have been scraping by for years now.

There is a very apparent conflict of interest that lives within ALPA wherein certain members benefit at the expense of other members. Scope degradation and age 65 are just two examples that come to mind.

These complaints are directed more towards ALPA as a national organization and in no way is directed to DALPA. I have not had a bad experience with any of the reps I have dealt with, even though I may not agree with them on certain issues from time to time.
Thank you. ^^^^^^What he said! ^^^^^^

I'm trying to place myself in that situation--eating like a million dollar celebrity or Goldman Sachs Exec, but on someone else's dime (that someone being the guy who's forced to pay a nice amount out of his hard earned pay every year to have me represent him). I'm sure the "This is how it's done" wink from my fellow officials would be tempting, but if I didn't take a stand and step back from the trough and say "This isn't right.", then I don't think I could look myself in the mirror.