View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 PM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display

Bdgerjmn:

No slight meant to the Blues. It's a comment on government and manipulation of public-perception.

Government and Big Brass (which is a form of 'government'): "Let's make a public announcement that the Blues have been cancelled for April." (It was on all the local channels). "That will make it seem like we are trying to save money due to the budget problems."

Reality: The practice shows on those four days cost almost as much as flying the actual shows.

In the above example, substitute "Control tower," "Library," "Highway bridge replacement," or other program for "Blues."

What I am saying is, the cuts associated with sequestration really often don't save any money at all. It is political posturing. It starts at the Federal level, and is handed down to the JCS, who pass it on to us.

There is an agenda here. I believe it is more about shaping public opinion than actually saving money. And that agenda would be to make the public more receptive to tax increases in order to return basic, as well as non-essential government services.

I haven't seen a single meaningful nor sensible cut in the Air Force (or Federal Government) since this started. Still lots of pointless waste. But dramatic announcements (14 combat squadrons closed for the rest of the year) continue to proliferate.