Thread: Anc
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by iflysideways View Post
Could please answer a question about ANC? My apologies if this offends, but why would anybody live there?

I have looked into relocating to ANC for big brown. All I found were huge negatives for QOL. Astronomical cost of living. Crime rates on par with Compton in LA. Highest rate of alcoholism in the country. Very, very poor national rankings for the public school system. Cold, snowy weather eight months a year. Dark half the year and sun the other half. 3,500 miles from family. I could go on and on, so......

I know at brown, you could upgrade to captain in half the time, but the extra 40% income, IMO, does not hardly offset the terrible QOL. For me personally, I could move to ANC and make captain and make an extra hundred grand a year, but even with the extra money, I could only afford a SMALLER house than I own now on FO pay, I'd have to put my kids in private school, and our family grocery budget would be much higher. Financially, I would have a lower QOL than I have now. Plus the whole dark and snowy winter would probably put a lot of tension on the wife and kids.

So if your're not really big into hunting and fishing, why would anybody want to live in ANC?

Thanks. And sorry again if you're an Alaska lover.
Sorry to butt in, but it sounds to me like you really aren't looking for an answer to your statement. But I've got to tell you, many of the guys who live up there love it. Pure and simple, they love the great outdoors, they love the daylight hours during their "summer season", and they of course love being able to get the hell out of dodge during the winter months. At least at FedEx, the most junior guy(s) always hold lines during fishing season. It's because reserve goes so damn senior. But you don't want to hear any of that, now do you?